Over the past 24 months we have been approached by internet Romance Scammers, using many of the below noted scams. If you’re not using an Asia date then there are many possible scams that could occur. This list of scams is taken from online dating website, and you will find similar list on the US State Department web site, FBI Web site, RCMP Website, Yahoos AntiScam Web site and many other others. Remember that they (the scammers) here is to steal your money and /or make you part of their criminal enterprise.
Scam Scenarios when not using an Asia date:
- Counterfeit money orders and checks sent in the mail from the scammer to be deposited in the victim bank account and send back the cash by Western Union or Money Gram.This is money laundering, and is a Federal crime punishable with Jail time.
- Asked to open a checking account to deposit checks for Scammer.This also is money laundering, and is a Federal crime punishable with Jail time.
- Scammer claims they’ve been mugged, shot, in an auto accident, arrested or their money, passport, and ID was stolen.Many times they will send you fake police reports and need immediate money for food, medical and other expenses.
- The scammer needs money for hotel/motel bill and manager is holding their ID and passport.(This is a problem for the Embassy/Consult to assist in as that is part of their mission)
- They lost the company money and cannot pay their employees. They need money to cover payroll or cash payroll checks (why would you help someone that loses the company Money).
- Thescammer sends you blank checks sent in the mail for victim to fill out and send out to scammer “clients” which in reality are other victims.This is money laundering and a federal crime.
- The scammer arranges for you to come to their country to meet and marry, you risk theft, rape, identify theft, and murder.(This is very risky, and if you survive you may be forced to become part of the scammer’s gang and operations or legally married to a scammer in a vgreen card fraud)
- The scammer when caught, confesses what they are doing, claims to have truly fallen in love with you, but they continue to ask for money.This is just a continuation of the scam trying to keep control of your emotions and empathy.
- The scammer plans to come to your country to marry, but has an accident or other tragedy on the way to the airport. They are asking money for the hospital bills or other expenses.
- They need money for a plane ticket and BTA(Basic Travel Allowance, this does not exists).
12 The scammer is on the way to the states to visit you, but is held up in Customs and need money for his/her release.That is what the consulates are for and customs will just send the scammer back to his home country on the next flight.
- The scammer ships packages to victim home to have them remailed to the scammer. These packages are goods and products bought with a stolen credit card number and now they need you to reship the packages to them.This is receiving and distributing stolen good and is a crime, you could be held fined and jailed if convicted.
- The scammer sends counterfeit money through the mail to the victim.Handling counterfeit money is a federal crime, investigated by the Secret Service, and prosecuted as a federal crime.
- The scammer has the victim send money to Canada or New Mexico.This also is money laundering, and is a Federal crime punishable by Jail time.
- Scammer sending a package filled with envelopes to victim to have the envelopes mailed to other victims. Checks or Money Orders are in the envelopes.This also is money laundering, and is a Federal crime punishable with Jail time.
- Doctor contacts victim to inform the scammer was in an accident but survived and needs their medical bills paid as the victim is the only one who can help.(Most third world countries medical and hospital expenses must be paid up front before any procedure or treatment will take place).
- The scammer or relative sick in the hospital needs money for the operation medication, and Dr. fees(Even when they are in the hospital they can IM with you because the doctor has a laptop and is so very generous to let them use it). In most third world countries medical and hospital expenses must be paid up front before any procedure or treatment will take place.
- The scammer has Catalogs sent to victim’s home with scammers name on them.Help them establish Identity in your country.
- The Scammer has a business, but needs to have merchandise shipped to victim’s house, and then have victim ship the merchandise to scammer.These packages are goods and products bought with a stolen credit card numbers and now they need you to reship the packages to them. This is receiving and
distributing stolen good and is a crime, you could be held fined and jailed if
- Scammer needs money because doesn’t have enough of her/his own money to get her/his newly acquired merchandise out of the country.
- Scammer needs money because they cannot cash a check at a local bank or use credit cards.
- Scammer asks for money to give to her/his family as a promise to the family. They claim this is a tradition or a wedding custom.
- Scammer has a vision that he/she and the victim has to obey where God wants them to donate of their monthly income for a month. The scammer went on a fast for 3 days and during that time God revealed to him/her where they would donate this money (sending it by Western Union) to some needy community in some third world country.
- Is working as a missionary and has been shot, needs money for surgery, and medication.
- Need money for child in an orphanage for his/her life saving operation or adoption of a child.
- Has a Business opportunity for victim.
- Has an Investment opportunity for victim.
- Has an inheritance opportunity for victim.
- The scammer plans for the real estate business after they (the victim and scammer) receive the money in the trunks in the securities company in Holland, including legal looking documents.This is a false come on to get you to invest in a nonexistent scheme. In order to obtain funds, you are told to pay fees for attorneys, certificates, storage, bank transfers, bank releases, money
laundering clearance, anti-terrorist clearances, courier services, storage
- The scammer claim to be buying a business. The business belonged to a friend of his who wanted to retire. This business was currently netting 30-40K each month in revenue claimed by the scammer. The scammer needed funds to complete the purchase of the business. Papers (fake papers) were provided for the purchase agreement which had the victim name on them included as the scammer’s wife.
- The scammer has 200 bars of 24K Ghanaian gold, left behind from her/his deceased Grandmother, each bar with a value of $16,000 dollars in the U.S. but had no value in Ghana. He/she (scammer) was to fly to the states with the gold and then the Immigration Customs Department at the Ghana airport called the victim. The (scammer) was arrested for trying to get out the country with undocumented gold. The victim was told the (scammer) would go to prison for life if the police came and the victim contact information would be forwarded over to Interpol and be traced to the local authorities here in the U.S.
- The victim was told they would lose their job and be arrested. The (scammer) could be released if ($3000) was sent for the gold consignment and immigration papers. Two days later the victim was told the gold was sold to the Ghana bank and was worth 3.3 million U.S. dollars. Then was asked to give personal bank account
information so the funds would be transferred into the victim bank account immediately (it never happened). Once they have your account information they will drain your account of any funds available.
- The scammer has funds belonging to Saddam Hussein’s family in a consignment registered as Government Diplomatic Package and insured by the International Guarantee bond (IGB). Amount is $21 Million us dollars. They want to move this money to victim because Iraq is a war zone, so that the victim may invest it for scammer.
- You are asked to help an orphan, banker, sick widow or widower, official, Zimbabwe farmer, minister, etc. transfer money out of the country – any country – to
- The scammer with a terminal illness wants to make charitable contributions from a vast fortune. They need you to help them with the transfer of the money, but up fees need to be paid to the local government.
All of these scams are designed to relieve you of your money and/or involve you in their criminal enterprise. Either way you will be left holding the bag for any of these crimes as the scammer are insulated and not covered by our laws and cannot be prosecuted by our governments. American and Western Europeans are generous
and always try to help, and the scammers take advantage of our generosity and
If anyone on the internet ask you for money, assistance in reshipping, setting up accounts, or sends you money or securities, it is a scam, immediate report it to the Your Postmaster, or for counterfeiting, to the Secret Services or your local federal
“Do Not Feed the Scammers”
Stay say when dating by using an Asia date to lower your chances of fraud, read more on filipino4u.com